How to trim brussels sprouts
- Rinse and drain the brussels sprouts to remove any dirt that might be attached.
- With a sharp paring knife, trim off about 1/4″ of the stem end, then remove any loose leaves (saving the leaves for another use like a salad).
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half lengthwise.
How to roast brussels sprouts
- Prep the brussels sprouts (see above) while your oven preheats on broil.
- Add the halved brussels to a bowl and sprinkle the kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and the sugar to evenly coat on all sides. Adding the dry ingredients before the oil will allow it to evenly distribute throughout.
- First mix together the halved brussels sprouts with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and a little sugar, then add olive oil and mix to coat all sides.
- Place the seasoned sprouts on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place it in the oven to broil for 6 minutes. Carefully stir the sprouts on the sheet pan and place back in the oven for 6 more minutes.
The total time for roasting the brussels sprouts under the broiler is about 12 minutes, but the exact timing will depend on your specific oven and the size of the brussels sprouts. You will definitely want to keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t turn into crispy charcoal, as all ovens are different.
The small amount of sugar will promote caramelization and the oil will prevent sticking and make them extra crispy under the broiler. When you see the leaves start to turn dark, that’s just the first layer and that will turn into crispy goodness.
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato , cut into 1/2″ dice
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale (also called lacinato or dinosaur kale)
- 1/4 cup Pecans
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/8 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Small Shallot , minced
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the diced sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Season with salt & pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by whisking all vinaigrette ingredients except for the olive oil in a medium bowl to combine. Then slowly drizzle the olive oil while continually whisking to emulsify.
- Adjust the amount of vinegar and honey for your taste.
- Remove the stems from the kale and hand tear the leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Add the torn kale to the bowl with the vinaigrette and massage the dressing into the kale.
- Add the warm sweet potatoes, dried cranberries and the pecans to the bowl and mix to combine.