This delicata squash soup is easy to make and tastes delicious, especially topped with curried chickpea & onions. Perfect for lunch on a cold day.
Delicata squash is a squash I am newer to, but it’s one I have grown to love and use in various ways. It has a lovely mellow, slightly sweet flavor and best of all, it’s easy to prepare as you don’t need to peel it. The skin is relatively thin and edible.
We loved the cranberry maple delicata squash galette and maple roast delicata squash with turkey I have shared previously, but this delicata squash soup is definitely an even easier way to enjoy it.
HOW TO MAKE THIS DELICATA SQUASH SOUP
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 35 mins
- 14 oz delicata squash 400g (1 squash)
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chickpeas 4tbsp
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup stock 240ml eg vegetable, chicken
This soup really could hardly get easier as all you do is:
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Lay on baking sheet/tray cut side down and roast for 30min until tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion and cook in the oil about 15min until gently brown hen add the chickpeas. Cook another couple mins then add curry powder. Stir and cook a minute or two then remove from heat.
- Once the squash has cooked, to ensure it is smooth, you can scoop it out of the skin before blending. Or, roughly chop it and put in a blender with the stock. Blend until smooth.
- Serve topped with the onions and chickpeas.
For the topping:
- Cook the onions in a little oil until soft and lightly caramelized.
- Add the chickpeas and curry powder and cook a little more before adding it to your soup.
This delicata squash soup is easy to make, smooth and tasty. The chickpeas and onions add a touch of warmth, as well as a nice contrast in texture. The soup has a relatively mild taste with all the creaminess you’d expect from a squash soup, without any cream (in fact it’s vegan). So add some brightness to your day and make some soon!