Less Is More. Building a capsule wardrobe is a great way to start saving time, money and energy. Having a minimalist wardrobe can truly change your life. You will see a shift in overall mental clarity. You will also spend less time shopping and deciding what to wear. Making the change to a more minimal wardrobe may start a movement to have a simplified and clutter-free closet. Here are my minimalist wardrobe tips to help you get started!
1. Be selective: Reserve your closet space for items you love 100 percent.
Training yourself to become more selective is the single most effective thing you can do to upgrade your wardrobe. Try to think of your closet as an exclusive, members-only club. Only pieces that you love and are truly excited to wear get an invite. Anything ill-fitting, scratchy, worn-out, barely “good enough,” or that simply doesn’t suit your personal style is not invited.
2. Create a Specific Wardrobe Structure
Create a structure for your capsule wardrobe so you know exactly what you’re looking for in your closet and what you’ll need to invest in. Also make sure to make it specific, citing the colours and styles of pieces you want in your collection. A sample wardrobe structure could look something like this:
Wide-leg trousers: 2 (black and forest green)
Coats: 1 (camel)
Pencil skirts: 2 (black and grey)
Dresses: 4 (formal, work, casual, travel)
Cardigans: 3 (beige, navy blue and black)
Classic button up shirt: 2 (chambray and white)
Blazers: 2 (black and white)
Ankle cut pants: 2 (black and navy)
Jeans: 3 (straight cut, boyfriend and skinny)
Tank tops: 3 (white, black and grey)
Loafers: 1 (brown with tassels)
Flats: 1 (black)
Heels: 2 (black high heel and bone-coloured block heel)
Sandals: 2 (brown wedge and black flat)
Trainers: 1 (black)
Sweaters: 5 (oversized, lightweight, turtle neck, crew neck, v-neck)
3. Be authentic: Forget conventional style typologies like “classic” or “bohemian” and create your own unique look.
The problem is that a ready-made, one-size-fits-all approach can give you only a ready-made, one-size-fits-all wardrobe. Following rules and blueprints is not going to help you cultivate a strong sense of style, because your personal style is just that: deeply personal. Sure, you may like a lot of the same colors, materials, or cuts as someone else, but the way you combine these into outfits, the pieces you choose for different occasions, and how you style your looks are all a reflection of your unique likes and dislikes and the influences that you have picked up over the years.
4. Basics are Key
Basics are the foundation of a capsule wardrobe. They’re the neutral, versatile pieces that pair well with anything from other essentials to your statement pieces. Basics are pieces you can easily dress up with accessories, that can take you seamlessly from day to night!
5. Aim for quality
Build a wardrobe of high-quality pieces that last more than just a few years.. You’ll want clothes that feel good on your skin. Clothes that are sturdy and durable and that won’t fall apart after a couple of seasons. Clothes that fit the contours of your body well, without distorting your silhouette or restricting movement.
6. Capsule Wardrobe Essentials
Basic capsule wardrobe essentials are those pieces you can wear all year round and can take you from day to night. Here’s a list of 10 capsule wardrobe essentials.
1. The Short Sleeve Tee: Wear it tucked in with jeans for a casual look or with a skirt and blazer to the office.
2. The Button Up Shirt: Wear it with trousers for a more professional look, or pair it with jeans for brunch with the girls!
3. The Denim: Jeans and a jean jacket are musts for your capsule wardrobe! Invest in good quality denim that helps you rock your best features!
4. The Trousers: A key piece of a professional wardrobe, whether you wear them to the office or corporate events.
5. The Skirt: Need to dress up an outfit? Black skirt to the rescue! Choose one that works for your body type and your lifestyle!
6. The Sweater: Light weight sweaters do double duty, helping you stay warm on breezy summer nights and perfect for layering under coats in the winter!
7. The Black Dress: Everyone needs a black dress in their closet! Be it for a wedding or work function, a black dress will be a go-to in your wardrobe!
8. The Blazer: A blazer can pull together just about any outfit! If you feel like your getup is a little lacklustre, throw on a blazer to elevate your look.
9. The Loafers: Wear them casual or dressy, loafers are a versatile piece that can be worn with an array of styles.
10. The Heels: Need to dress up for work, or want to elevate a jeans and blouse outfit to go out for drinks? Heels to the rescue!
7. Put in the work
Invest time and thought into developing your style and selecting the perfect garments. Like everything in life, styling takes practice. It takes time to train your eye, experiment with different aesthetics, and develop a sense of style that feels natural and effortless to you. It takes time to figure out which types of pieces work best for your lifestyle and to curate a versatile wardrobe. And it takes time to then learn how to best utilize those pieces to create outfits that you love.
Building a capsule wardrobe is so much fun, and can save you so much money and time! Create a capsule wardrobe structure and get to work building your dream capsule closet!