This recipe mixture doesn’t quite taste like the stuff on the market, but it works. It’s salty and a little cheesy, plenty spreadable, and incredibly easy to make. I like it plain, but I’m offering you three additional options depending on how you like your cream cheese: sun-dried tomato, dill, and chive.
5 Ingredients Tofu Cream Cheese
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 5 mins | Total Time: 10 mins
- 1 15- ounce block extra firm tofu gently pressed to remove moisture
- 1 1/2 teaspoons umeboshi plum vinegar substitute lemon juice + 1/2 teaspoon extra salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion tops
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes not oil packed, hydrated in warm water and drained if necessary, chopped
- Blend all of the base ingredients in a food processor fitted with the S blade or a high speed blender till smooth (at least 2 minutes in a food processor). Taste; adjust lemon and salt as desired. Pulse or fold in your mix-ins of choice. Cream cheese will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
As for serving this stuff, my comfort food option of choice is most definitely a bagel. But I also like the spread on regular toast, or stuffed into a wrap with roasted veggies. It’s a pretty great snack dip, too, and I’m sure it’ll be a nice hummus alternative in the year to come!